Sunday, June 19, 2011

A head stone in place seems permanent indeed.


Here's the headstone I made for Maria Cynthia Quiroz. It's the only headstone I've ever made, and what an honor it was! I'm wondering how it supposed to be phrased... Did I make it for Maria, whom I never met, or did I make it for her sister Delia who asked me to do it? Either way, I felt like I knew Maria a bit by the time I was finished. I carved it during the 2010 stone carving event at the Vineyards at Florence. This is a great event and I feel fortunate to have been a part of it for the last 2 years, being among so many professional carvers makes for an invigorating weekend.
Life carried on, and the family only recently got it placed at Maria's grave site.The inspiration was simple enough, Delia told me that, at her funeral a whole bunch of butterflies appeared. In trying to come up with a design, Delia and I thought it would be nice to try and capture their appearance as a tribute I was happy that she asked me and I hope her family appreciates my amateur attempt to honor their mother, sister and daughter.

No comments: