Thursday, December 29, 2005

reminiscing Christmas with the family

S says... and speaking of stealing, i do recall a dark and starry night, many many years ago, when all three of us girls were piled up in the back of our beloved orange volvo, idling in the snow, and my dad runs up breathlessly with a christmas tree, stuffs it through the back window, and yells at my mother to hit the gas. uh huh, we stole that christmas tree. seriously.


H replies... We had a stolen tree one year too. My brother stole it from a tree farm, but I wasn't with him. It was one of the best looking trees we ever had. He went out with a few friends and loaded up one of their trucks with tree cheer for all their families.

I have an aluminum tree that's quite nice that I inherited from Grampy. He's the one that used to wear western shirts. It was purchased in the late 60's for a little over $8.

Not trees, but my favorite part about your story is the orange Volvo. I bet you wish you still had it. I can see that clear as day. My Mom had a red wagon with an all metal cargo area in the back. That's where we road. Those were the days. We had a checker board painted on the rear deck and magnetic checkers to play with. My Mom used to occasionally take corners kinda hard and slide us side to side in the back in a big kid-pile. We took that car on a road trip to Michigan when I was very wee little. I remember laying in the back with my brother and sister and waving our bare feet out the back window at other cars. We thought we were hilarious.

No comments: